Friday, March 2, 2012

Do-It-Yourself Silk Flower Arrangement

There was a corner of our living room that was looking a bit empty recently, and I decided to put some sort of big vase in the corner. An impromptu visit to Michael's provided the needed inspiration, with their
pre-made arrangements:


Super pretty, but at $300 and $350 a pop, I wasn't really feeling it. So hubbie and I (who patiently waited around for me at the store for at least half an hour) decided that we should try to make our own! I liked the one of the left for the drape-y thing it had going on, and the one on the right because it had hydrangeas in it. I seriously can't WAIT to have a yard so I can have some of my own!

In any case, after some careful selecting and checking back with the arrangements to get some ideas for what they had in them, I had a pretty nice looking vase! Even better, all the flowers were half off. With my 40% off coupon for the vase, it ended up being about $60 total. Not exactly cheap, but seemed like a bargain compared to what Michael's was charging for the pre-made version.

The only problem with my arrangement was the lack of any natural elements. In the pictures above, there were some nicely shaped sticks in there that gave it a balanced shape. There were some bunches of sticks that you could purchase, but some some stubborn part of me objected to paying $12 for something you could easily find outside. So, of course....to the park we went! Took a walk in the usual wooded area that we like, and found some very excellent specimens that I thought would work very well:
My pile-o sticks!
After a bit more arranging, draping, stick breaking and label cutting, I came up with some pretty nice looking flowers!

Included this one at another link party!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is impressive. Thanks for linking up to our “Strut Your Stuff Saturday.” We would love to have you back!! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete