Sunday, March 4, 2012

Egg Candles!

Several weeks ago at Michael's, I saw these cute fake "cracked" egg candles. I know I could have bought them, but decided to try making my own instead! This was actually a super simple project, even if you've never made a candle before.

Here is what you need:

-Uncracked eggs
-Small candle wicks
-Microwave melting wax, or regular wax if you want to do it over the stove
-Microwave safe measuring cup with a spout
-Egg cups for balancing your new candles in

To start, one morning when I was making breakfast, I carefully pressed my finger into the top of my eggs so that there was a small-ish hole, like this:


I carefully turned the egg upside down to slip out the egg, and proceeded with making scrambled eggs. I have seen some tutorials that tell you to blow the egg out, which really seems like a lot of work since I was going for the "just hatched" look, but you can do that as well.

After your eggs have been washed and left out to dry (I let mine sit for a few days) put some hot glue on the metal piece on the underside of the wick, and glue it to your egg. Taking this extra step will make sure it doesn't slip around once you pour your wax. Melt your wax in your measuring cup, stirring it every minute or so. Make sure to read the instructions that came with your wax, just to make sure you understand any weird quirks with that wax brand

When the wax is completely melted, carefully pour the wax into your egg, stopping 2-3 cm from the top. Trim the wick if there is a lot leftover. Here is a cool shot of mine in the dark.


Totally fun and easy, and hopefully this gets your spirits up for SPRING! =)


Posting this one at a link party!


4 comments:

  1. I like it alot! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool!

    I haven't looked at my latest blog party linky list yet so I don't know if you already linked this up or not but I have a blog party every Monday that you can link up to 3 posts to if you are interested. The party starts every Sunday afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute idea!! I love burning candles and this would be such a fresh take! Thanks for stopping by my blog, Well Rounded! Thanks for sharing! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a neat idea! No need to buy glass bottles or look for old ones. Thank you for hopping over to my blog!

    Agy from Green Issues

    ReplyDelete