Saturday, February 18, 2012

Oven Pancakes with Fruit Compote

I seem to be on a bit of a breakfast kick lately. Not sure why, except that breakfast is one of the most awesome meals of the day! I mentioned this recipe a few days ago, and now that we're here in snowy Colorado and I had some extra time on my hands, I decided to try it out, compliments again of Betty Crocker.

The recipe said it served 2-4 people, but I'm pretty sure it would only serve four small children. I doubled it for three people and baked them in two 6x6 glass containers instead of a pie pan. The only other thing I changed about the recipe was that I sprayed the pans with Pam and only melted a tablespoon of butter in each one, just to reduce the unhealthiness factor a bit. I thought they still tasted delicious! Reminded me a bit of a baked crepe.

Puffy pancake in all its finished glory!
I made a yummy cinnamon apple fruit compote to put on top, which hubby and I both agreed was a suitable replacement for syrup. Get the pancake batter in the oven and then start on the fruit.

Fruit Compote:

2 apples
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 sugar
1 1/2 cups water

Chop the apples into small pieces. You can peel them, but I never do. Put your sugar, water and cinnamon in a sauce pan, stir it all together and cooking on high, let it come to a slow boil. Dump in the apples, stir it all together, and cover. Keep it at medium high and stir it every few minutes- it should be pretty bubbly the whole time. Cook until the apples are relatively soft. It took a little over 20 minutes for my fruit to be done, which timed very nicely with the pancakes coming out of the oven.

Uncooked pancake batter. You can see how buttery it is!



No comments:

Post a Comment