Sunday, February 26, 2012

Spring Wreath: Make your own moss monogram!

Changing the decorations over for the seasons is super fun. I have several Rubbermaid boxes that hold my fall, Christmas, Valentine's and spring decorations. I'm not such a fan of Saint Patty's day, and I sort of loose steam for summer, but for the rest of the year, I'm all over it! I think spring might be one of my favorites (baby chicks, Easter eggs!!) and I have already put out all my decorations, even though it is not quite March.

Yay little peep!
When I was wandering the seasonal decoration section recently at Hobby Lobby, I saw this little monogrammed wreath:

I thought it was cute if a little...plastic-y. I mulled it over for a few days, and decided to make my own! What you'll need make your own letter:

Some sturdy cardboard- something that will hold up but not be too hard to cut
Acrylic paint in a nice spring color, if you want to cover the cardboard up (mine had some writing on it)
Package of dried moss (got my package from Dollar Tree, but the floral section of any craft store would have it too)
Craft or Elmer's glue
Ribbon or yarn

To start, trace with a pencil the letter that you would like to make. Make sure it is kind of thick and even. My S ended up being about 9 inches tall. Take a hole punch and make a hole somewhere near the top of the letter, where it looks like it would hang well (I unfortunately skipped this step for mine. Do as I say and not as I do in this case). Paint the letter if you want it to be extra pretty and a bit sturdier, back and front. You won't have to be quite as thorough about sticking moss on there if you take this step. Let dry.

Spread glue on the letter about an inch at a time, and press bits of the moss on so the letter is mostly covered. Make sure not to cover up your hole too much. Let it dry for about an hour, and then look over your letter to make sure there aren't any weird open spots. If there are, put on a bit more glue and patch them. Let the letter dry overnight.

Take a long piece of ribbon or yarn (figure out where you want to hang it in advance so you know how long/short it should be) and loop it through the hole and adjust so it hangs nicely. I love how nice my monogram smells, and that it wasn't made from bits of plastic. What do you think?


P.S. I linked this post for Sew Chatty's Link Up!

Sew Chatty

1 comment:

  1. Great idea! I love monogram stuff!

    I just did a button monogram on my new craft blog last week. I would love for you to follow my blog too so that we can share ideas! :)

    Your newest follower,
    Sarah @ www.dottedlinecrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete